Events

Flex 4.6 is out!

48 Comments 30 November 2011

Flex 4.6 is out!

The Flex 4.6 SDK is available for download here. If you are using Flash Builder 4.5, download and upgrade your IDE for free. You can download Flash Builder 4.6 here. Since Flex 4.5, you can develop desktop AND mobile applications with a native experience on iOS, Android and BlackBerry devices. Flex mobile applications aim to perform and look like native applications. The new features of Flex 4.6 will help you to achieve great performance and experience. If you take your existing Flex 4.5 mobile project and recompile it with Flex 4.6, you should feel great performance improvements, especially with scrolling lists and transitions between views. But the Flex SDK team also worked on new components. Here are the list of some new features available in Flex 4.6 and Flash Builder 4.6:

New set of mobile components

Tablet devices are incredibly successful. The Apple iPad introduced new ways to structure applications and new user interactions. The new set of components available in Flex 4.6 is inspired by classic tablet applications. As you’re targeting a larger screen than a smartphone, you need to review your UI navigation. I’ve already shared some thoughts on this in my post named “Adaptive UI”. Thanks to the new SplitViewNavigator, you can manage the layout of multiple views. The ‘Adaptive UI’ is managed by the component and is based on the device orientation.

How to use SpitViewNavigator:

<s:SplitViewNavigator width="100%" height="100%" id="splitViewNavigator" autoHideFirstViewNavigator="true">
		<s:ViewNavigator id="vnList" firstView="views.ListQuestions" width="300" height="100%"/>
		<s:ViewNavigator id="vnFull" firstView="views.FullView" width="100%" height="100%">

<s:actionContent.portrait>
				<s:Button id="navigatorButton"   label="Show questions" click="splitViewNavigator.showFirstViewNavigatorInPopUp(navigatorButton)" />
			</s:actionContent.portrait>
		</s:ViewNavigator>
	</s:SplitViewNavigator>

More components are also available and directly inspired from iOS applications: the CallOutButton (popup related to a component), the SpinnerList, the ToggleSwitch and the famous DateSpinner.

Soft keyboard parameters

You can easily enhance the behavior of your soft keyboard. If you’re building a form, with a text input field that is waiting for a phone number, then you can modify the look of your mobile/tablet soft keyboard to display numbers only. You can also customize the label of the “return” key on the soft keyboard (and display “Join”, “Go” or “Search” for example). It’s a very nice feature detailed by Holly in this post.

You can set different values for the softKeyboardType property: number, email, punctuation, url, contact or default. For instance, to display numbers on the keyboard, just add a parameter to your TextInput component:

<s:TextInput softKeyboardType="number" width="180"/>

AIR 3, native extensions and captive runtime

Air 3.1 is attached to Flex 4.6 developments. It means that you can easily embed ActionScript Native Extensions within your Flex mobile project. ANE are a bridge between your Flex mobile app and a native library that can extend the capabilities of the Flex SDK. A list of native extensions are available on adobe.com such as the Gyroscope API, Vibration, Notification, Kinnect… To import an ActionScript Native Extension within your project, just open the new tab in Flash Builder 4.6 dedicated to ANE.

Remember that you can also use the new captive runtime option while packaging a mobile application OR a desktop application. It will create a standalone application that is embedding the AIR runtime. On the desktop, it means that you can actually copy your application on a USB stick and launch it without administration rights! It’s a fantastic new way for deploying AIR apps. On mobile devices, we were already using this technic on iOS. Now you can use the same technic on Android and generate an .apk file that will embed a specific version of the AIR runtime.

Test Flex 4.6 apps on your device

There are already some Flex 4.6 apps available on the Android Market and on the App Store. If you have an iPhone, you can download the free music application called “Radio X-track”. It’s a Flex 4.6 app I’ve been working on, I’ll share more information about this app soon on this blog. Narcissus is also compiled with Flex 4.6 by the way and offers great performance on iPad tablets. Christophe and Holly shared an open-source tablet application to manage your expenses.I’ve also been working on a Flex 4.6 application for tablet users and Flex developers… This application is already secretly available on the Android Market but the app is still “in review” on the app store. As soon as it’s available for both iPad and Android tablets, I’ll showcase this application. More to come…

1. Aaron says:

Michaël, I downloaded 4.6, have a license for CS5.5 Web Premium, and 4.6 is not accepting my key. I know this was an issue in the prerelease but it was kind of suggested the problem was going to be resolved for release.

Any suggestions?

Hi Aaron. Let me check with the team what’s happening.

3. Boondoggle says:

“Along with the release of Flex 4.6, Adobe is proud to bring a powerful update to Flash Builder, free of charge to existing Flash Builder 4.5 customers.”

How to get this free of charge update?

4. Aaron says:

Thanks, I’m going to run the installer as a trial to see if that magically works the way it would during prerelease (it would just spontaneously inherit registration details) and report back.

@Boondoggle: just enter your FB4.5 serial number to activate FB 4.6

6. Hugo says:

Hi Michael,

Today later I will install the new 4.6 version and repackaged my app :D. I’m anxious to see the impact of performance and of course to use some of the new components like the long-awaited DateSpinner :)

7. Hubert says:

Very useful these extra components :-)
    Any examples for the call-out button?

8. Wim Van Buynder says:

Is AIR 3.0 the default SDK for FB 4.6? Or do we need to download that separatly?

@Wim AIR 3.1 is the default SDK. You don’t have to download it, it’s inside the Flex SDK.

10. Wim Van Buynder says:

Sorry, I was too fast :)

“Air 3.1 is attached to Flex 4.6 developments. “

11. Aaron says:

Hi Michaël, just an update: installing as a trial worked as it did during prerelease and FB seems to have magically inherited my CS5.5 licensing. May be good to document this somewhere for the suite owners.

12. Baltazar says:

Do i need to unistall 4.5 to install 4.6?

It is giving me a message that i have a beta installed …

@Baltazar. Just uninstall your previous FB 4.5, beta, … installations.

14. Mike says:

I tried installing and using my serial number from my Web Premium 4.5 upgrade on my Mac. It would not take my serial number.

15. Jon says:

What’s the status of integration with the PlayBook SDK?

16. Mailo says:

hi michael, i have adobe mc 5.5
    so i have a problem to download new version of FB 4.6 by application manager… no updates

can you write me by e-mail, when it will be avaliable? thanks..@mailo

17. Baltazar says:

I have unistalled 4.5 and it works.

Thanks

18. james says:

I updated to flex 4.6 and am getting an error when trying to start a mobile project.

org.eclipse.core.internal.eclipsepreferences cannot be cast to org.eclipse.core.internal.core.resources.projectresources.

I am stuck and cannot do anything.Please advise what to do.

19. AQOne says:

Aaron notes that if you have a suite install you must install FB 4.6 as a trail. I’ve installed FB 4.5 as part of the Web premium suite. I have no way to uninstall just the FB application. By installing as a trial are you installing in parallel to the existing FB 4.5? If not how are you uninstalling FB 4.5?

20. Hey, I own 4.5 and had tried to install the prerelease. It never worked so I just waited for the official release. I used the uninstaller for Flashbuilder but when I got to install 4.6, i get
    “beta or prerelease versions of Adobe flash builder are installed…”……i’ve uninstalled and reinstalled FB several times but no dice. Any suggestions?

21. mehmet bay says:

i am working with flash builder 4.6, this IDE very nice but stil have deficiencies.
    for example (stil compiler for project not have the encryption)

22. Wim Van Buynder says:

Do we still need to define the in the app.xml file? Is it cpu or gpu?

23. Hugo says:

Installed Flex Builder 4.6, regenerated the xml app file and repackaged. First impressions with my app previous optimized (cache, async sqlite, etc…)

Before Flex 4.6 with AIR 3.1:
    * Black screen – 0.5-1 second
    * Boot loading – 4 seconds
    * Navigate to screen – 1-2 seconds

After Flex 4.6 with AIR 3.1:
    * Black screen – 0.5-1 second
    * Boot loading – 2 seconds
    * Navigate to screen – 0.5-1 second

Bugs found so far:
    * Event click (also tried touch begin event) under TextInput (to I use a lot in my app) dont work anymore !

You said before that repacked with Flex 4.6 will improve 50% de performance and you are right :D

About the TextInput event, what should I do as workaround ?

24. Hugo says:

Continuing …

I founded a workaround for the new bug off the Event.Click in the TextInput, using this one FocusEvent.FOCUS_IN (I tried a lot and seems that this is the only one that works).

About the new Flash Builder 4.6 I noticed that:
    * When export the release build that I have now the option for captive runtime to the Android system (cool).
    * Creating a new mobile project for PlayBook now popups for the first time to locate the RIM keys (cool, dont have anymore to generate the keys and wait 1-2 days).

I found other minor issues with my complex views with the new Flex 4.6 but I think I can fix.

About the new Flash Builder 4.6 I just missed the captive runtime option for PlayBook because the current PlayBook OS comes with AIR 2.7 so I cant update my PlayBook users :(

25. Hugo says:

About the PlayBook, seems that the last update in November, 24 (v1.0.8) in http://us.blackberry.com/support/playbook-support/software.jsp cames with Flash Player 11.1 (the last one supported in mobile by Adobe) and AIR 3.1 so this problem is fixed by him self :)

I also see that now the scroll in the list seems much faster.

26. Wendyn Moek says:

27. Hi,

Maybe you could help me out here as I’ve search the web and Adobe forum but could not find any answer.

I just installed Flash Builder 4.6 (after uninstalling 4.5.1), now when I run my app, the adl.exe crashes (error details below). I thought because I have an app that was created with 4.5, but then I created a new app with this version and it still crash. I have Windows 7 64-bit PC.

Thanks so much. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Error details:

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

And more error message below:

Process terminated unexpectedly.

Launch command details: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0 (AIR 3.1)\bin\adl.exe” -runtime “C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0 (AIR 3.1)\runtimes\air\win” -profile mobileDevice -screensize 320×460:320×480 -XscreenDPI 163 -XversionPlatform IOS “C:\Users\myPC\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\MobileLab\bin-debug\MobileLab-app.xml” “C:\Users\myPC\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\MobileLab\bin-debug”

28. mihau says:

Guys! Whats with this serial from Web Premium – why it still doesn’t work ?
    Any solutions? Patch from Adobe?

29. Dave says:

Me too.
    ADL crash in my MacBook Pro.
    Help please

30. Ricardo says:

Great!!!!!! Flex 4.6 :D

31. Todd Hamilton says:

4.6 adl.exe crashes. Lot’s of complaints on this. Don’t upgrade !

32. Paul Pivec says:

Hi, I have been developing extensively in Flex and only dabbling in Xcode, hence flash builder 4.6 looks like an idea platform for me.
    Question: can I access the iPod/iphone music library from a Flex mobile application. Say I was writing a graphical display for music and wanted the use to select songs from their own library. Can this be done?
    Thanks in advance
    Paul.

33. Raja says:

Hi, i have successfully installed FB 4.6 and I’m getting compilation errors Description Resource Path Location Type
    Can not resolve a multiname reference unambiguously. JSON (from /Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/sdks/4.6.0/frameworks/libs/air/airglobal.swc(JSON, Walker)) and com.adobe.serialization.json:JSON don’t know how to solve this. Can any one help me?

Thanks,
    Raja.

34. Raja says:

Can any one help me please? How to resolve the multiname reference error of JASON in Flex 4.6.

Thanks,
    Raja

35. Karl M says:

@Raja

I’m having the same trouble and is clueless of what to do.

/Karl M

36. Huy Vu says:

I installed FB 4.6, when I run debug mode on device, it crashed. Do anyone know?

37. Rahan says:

Hi,
    I learned that Adobe is discontinuing flash Catalyst, and removes Design view from Flash Builder.

I really don’t understand the strategy behind.
    I ear some experienced coders saying that its not big deal as they don’t use it anymore. But how is it possible? How do you tweek your design, without visual editor? How do you work with designers to create a cool UI without it?

But experienced or not, what is the purpose of creating a Spark architecture, and not giving an easy visual editor to create skins?

Design View was a big advantage of Flash Builder against all other AS3 IDEA. Does Adobe want to abandon Flash Builder or what?

I hope that Adobe is working on a new solution, because if not, it will be very armfull to work with Spark.

38. justin says:

textinput focus_in event works but not if the textinput is not editable. the way i use it (and works in emulator) is when i focus (tap) the textinput a spinnerlist appears I select an item which set the textinput text and on focus out hide the spinnerlist. the focus_in event won’t fire when run on a iPhone device. any ideas?

39. Todd says:

Any ideas why all the links to download 4.6 give me an error page?

I tried to file a report and an online agent told me how to file an ? e-report ?, however trying to follow those links took me to an error page also.

40. Siddhant says:

@Raja and @Karl M :
    Guys i had the asme problem.

In my case, i was using the source code of Open Flash Charts 2 and had also included the .swc library file for the same in the “Referenced libraries”.

The first thing i had noticed were that there were two JSON.as files, one in com.serialization.json and the other in com.adobe.serialization.json. So i Firstly deleted the first package which contained only the JSON.as file. Second, i deleted the reference to OFC2Library-k.swc, and bang! The error disappeared…!!! :-)

41. DBilodeau says:

Hey great post. I have built a couple mobile apps and have noticed a reoccurring issue. When putting textinpit fields in a scroller. When you actually run the app. The text in the textinput doesn’t scroll with the input areas. This becomes really messy fast. Have you seen this before? Thanks!

42. Adrian says:

I tried your Radio X-Track app on my iPod touch 4g.
    And it looks Great!!

How did you get it to run so smoothly!
    Especially when you tab to the next page! I really think you should post a tutorial on performance tweaks for iOS devices!!! It would help myself and I’m sure tons of people as well ! :)

If not I would greatly appreciate an email from you sometime on what you possibly did!

Thanks so much

43. Ayme says:

Hi,

I’ve installed flash builder 4.6 on my computer and it works fine !!
    Nevertheless, i try to compil a mobile flash builder app on my iOs device but eaches times i try to compil i catch the same advert :

AIR for Apple iOS Support dans Flash Builder n’est pas installé. Pour activer la prise en charge de groupement pour Apple iOS suivez ces instructions.

Malheuresement le lien quand je clique sur suivez ces instructions ne fonctionne pas, et quand je clique sur le bouton ok il me réaffiche la fenetre de configuration.

Je ne comprends pas, pourtant j’ai bien mis le mobileprovision, le certificat au format p12 et l’appId est correcte.

Avez vous une idée ?

Merci d’avance

Anthony

44. Mihai says:

Hi, i have this problem with my Flex app. I cannot deploy the app on an iPhone 4s. I tried on an iPad, iPad 2, new iPad and iPhone 4, works like a charm, but i cannot get it installed on the 4s. Do you know anything about this? Is this a know issue, or am I doing something wrong?

There is no reason. Please double check your provisioning certificate

1. Flex 4.6 - Flashforum - November 30, 2011

[...] Yipiiiie Flex 4.6 is out! | RIAgora [...]

2. Cool Stuff with the Flash Platform – 12/1/2011 | Hire Flash Developers - December 2, 2011

[...] In addition, Flex 4.6 was released this week and it has a lot of new features including new components for tablet application development. Adobe evangelist Michael Chaize gives a solid rundown of many of the new Flex 4.6 features. [...]