Moods, Videos

Preview of Flex on iOS

50 Comments 25 March 2011

Preview of Flex on iOS

Today, Flex developers can deploy very performant applications on Android devices. Soon, they’ll be able to deploy their existing apps on the BlackBerry PlayBook. Tomorrow (in 2011), they’ll also use the Flex framework to build and deploy iOS applications (for the iPad, the iPhone and the iTouch). The AIR team in conjunction with the Flex SDK team are working hard to deliver a first-class experience. I can only say one thing: congratulations. My team has access to the latest internal engineering builds, and the results are already great. To prove it, I’ve recorded a small video to compare the native Twitter client of my iPhone (developed with ObjectiveC) and a small Flex app, developed in few minutes, running in AIR for iOS (again, it’s an internal build).

Flex in 2011 means: first-class Enterprise applications in the web browser, on the desktop, on Android devices, on the BlackBerry Playbook, on interactive TVs and on iOS devices. One skill, one code, all screens.

1. Francisc says:

Just brilliant.

2. achraf says:

Wow. we are waiting for this for long time.
    can we have the same performance with air2.6 ?

3. Valentin says:

sources? I am getting much lower performance

There’s nothing specific in my source code. It’s due to some optimization in Flex and AIR that will be available this year. I’m using a most advanced version of the AIR SDK.

6. Dhaya says:

Awesome upgrade in performances since the “old days” of the iOS Packager. I might as well try to build again some prototypes to see it myself !

7. Christophe Keromen says:

can’t wait!

8. Noah says:

Does this get packaged as a native iOS app or does the device have to install AIR first to run it as an AIR App?

9. __Guillame says:

Thx for the info ! Just wondering if you used useVirtualLayout = false to get the scroll that smooth ?

It’s packaged as a native iOS app.

Actually in the video, it sometimes set to true, another time set to false. I found that it’s indeed a little bit smoother, but it impacts your screen transitions (I guess that it adds too much information in memory). Good question :)

12. Alessio says:

Is there a roadmap for a public (or at least a beta) release?

13. neelts says:

is it really iPhone 3G and not 3GS ?

14. Mihnea says:

Same question as Alessio above:
    “Is there a roadmap for a public (or at least a beta) release?”

thanks

Not yet but we’ll communicate a date very soon.

16. Emmanuel Arnoud says:

Let’s hope the same level of performances on Android devices, because, currently, we are VERY far from this result with the current sdk …

17. Matthew Fabb says:

“Soon, they’ll be able to deploy their existing apps on the BlackBerry PlayBook.”

Soon? How about right now? Seems quite a number of Flex developers, including myself, that have been using the Flex Hero MAX preview SDK to create PlayBook apps. I’ve seen a few small issues, but nothing that couldn’t be worked out.

Meanwhile, to those wondering when more info might be available & about release dates, 360Flex is around the corner, starting April 10th, with many presentations by people from Adobe and the Flex team. I imagine we will find a lot more info and perhaps some releases around then.

18. Patricio López says:

A bit of a question. Have you get any app aproved at the App Store developed with AIR?

19. Amer says:

Are we able to invoke the phone dialer and email application in iPhone using Air 2.6?

I can tell you that it’s even better on Android devices (with the same internal builds). Very impressive.

Not me personally, but there are a lot of AIR apps approved on the store now. I’m waiting for this one to be approved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rp7UNCWbyc

Hmmm… good question. I didn’t try. Let me try this and get back to you.

23. Jack says:

How big is the resulting app file for iOS, compared to the objective-c version? Merci, c’est fantastique.

24. Marcin says:

Will be able to wiew flash / Air on samsung bada OS this Year ?

@Marcin We haven’t announced anything for Bada.

26. Awesome Michael, this will surely be the beginning of a whole new trend for Flex developers. Can’t wait for it to be released.

27. Marcin says:

“I’m not using the AIR 2.6 SDK available on adobe.com, but an internal build. We’ll update both AIR and Flex in 2011 to get this level of performance.” ….

is this a Adobe Air 2.7 ?

@Marcin I’m using an internal AIR 2.7 build + an internal Flex build that is not yet available.

29. yonel says:

Hum, the subtitles on the video are wrong aren’t they ? :
    ***You’re using an iPhone 3Gs not a 3G.***
    On a 3G you cannot configure the background image (even in iOS 4.0+) (unless you’ve jailbreak but I don’t you’ve done it did you ?)
    So maybe it’s a good thing to be accurate on, please, do the same video on a REAL 3G so that we can really compare the performances….

30. Abdul Qabiz says:

This is great video which compares the performance, I am sure – we are going to see loads of flex/air/flash apps on iOS devices.

I am sure, flex client can be optimized to get more faster. For example, load the avatar-thumbs as list is scrolled.

Native client seems to be doing for performance reason, whereas your app seems to load images up front?

Now if you leave the two clients running for sometime (30 mins or something), do you notice any memory leaks or performance issues while scrolling or transitions?

31. Javier says:

Thank you Michaël. Very promising information. I have a very basic question: the software developed with this new Flex build, can be executed in iOS devices as a web application or just as a desktop application downloaded previously?. Thank you.

32. Scripteo says:

Youpi :o)

@Javier As a native app only. Apple doesn’t authorize flash in the browser.

34. Joseph says:

Wonderful Michael!!
    Final releases of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 SDK will be available for download in early May. Can’t wait till

35. Marcin says:

question ..

the new Flash Biulder 4.5 in now shipped with Zend Studio 8 for php

id this a full zend Studio 8 in Flash Builder now ?

36. Daniel says:

Hello Michael,

seems my ios/android builts have problems with Blazeds – both remoting and messaging does not work. Weborb same result. Will this be supported on both devices?

@Daniel… I need more info. Are you connected via WIFI or 3G ? Who is your network provider ?

38. Daniel says:

I’ve tried both 3G (T-Mobile) and WLAN. I took the same build configuration like in the TwitterTrends example which is working on all my mobile devices (Galaxy 3, iPhone 4).

My Blazeds example is the small messaging example (testdrive-datapush) from the Blazeds samples connecting to an external webserver of me – it is working great in the Browser and the Desktop but not on mobile devices.

#Daniel Don’t forget to give Android permissions to your application (access to the Internet).

40. Daniel says:

Permissions are set:

41. David says:

@Daniel:
    I’m using 4.5, compiling (command line) into iOS, and remoting using Blazeds works great…you have to use action script to create the remote object(s), not mxml.

1. Preview of Flex on iOS by Michael Chaize | Flex.org - March 29, 2011

[…] Today, Flex developers can deploy very performant applications on Android devices. Soon, they’ll be able to deploy their existing apps on the BlackBerry PlayBook. Tomorrow (in 2011), they’ll also use the Flex framework to build and deploy iOS applications (for the iPad, the iPhone and the iTouch). Go to source article […]

2. Adobe AIR (for iOS) and Other RIA News | Flash Video Traning Source - March 31, 2011

[…] Michael Chaize demonstrates a Twitter application compiled with a future build of AIR for iOS and compares performance and responsiveness to the default iOS Twitter client with remarkable results. […]

3. Flex on Mobile – from skeptical to excited | Gregs Ramblings - April 11, 2011

[…] Michael Chaize’s preview of Flex on iOS – http://www.riagora.com/2011/03/preview-of-flex-on-ios/ […]

4. Flex on Mobile – from skeptical to excited (Adobe Flash Platform Blog) - April 12, 2011

5. Convincing developers that Adobe Flex rocks on Android, iOS, and PlayBook | Gregs Ramblings - April 26, 2011
  6. Convincing developers that Adobe Flex rocks on Android, iOS, and PlayBook (Adobe Flash Platform Blog) - April 26, 2011
  7. theFlashBlog » Success Bringing Flash Games to iOS - May 26, 2011

[…] Things are really starting to come together on the iOS front lately. The latest (still not public) 2.7 version of the AIR SDK brings with it greatly improved performance. Even Flex mobile runs great as been shown in numerous videos. […]

8. Success Bringing Flash Games to iOS (Adobe Flash Platform Blog) - May 27, 2011

9. Preview of Flex on iOS devices | shift-k - February 6, 2012